The following is a documentation of correspondence between myself and my good friend Iqbal, who is currently out of the country. To begin at the beginning is advisable, but unnecessary, as the nature of our conversation is, by all accounts, deeply universal and fundamentally relatable.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Dearest Iqbal-

Received your letter yesterday regarding the status of the internet in Zanzibar.  Difficult.  I remember being in India and having to play spider solitaire for hours waiting for the dial up to dial up.  

Irregardless (of whether that is a word), hear about Sen. Clinton becoming Sec. Clinton?  A consonant here and consonant there and the legacy is set!  I know you, and most of society, find her distasteful, but I love that woman. Maybe I'll devote some time to that, in a later letter.

In your absence I've been writing sestinas.  Some are good, many are not.  Maybe I'll post one or two.  I'd love some of your feedback.  Having fresh eyes, especially eyes on a different continent (never underestimate the influence of geography on the reading of texts) might be helpful.

I came across this passage in newspaper (or novel, can't remember which).  Thought it might be interesting to you:

"It has been said that silence is a strength; in a quite different sense it is a terrible strength in the hands of those who are loved.  It increases the anxiety of the one who waits.  Nothing so tempts us to approach another person as what is keeping us apart; and what barrier is so insurmountable as silence?  It has been said that silence is torture, capable of goading to madness the man who is condemned to it in a prison cell.  But what an even greater torture than that of having to keep silence it is to have the endure the silence of the person one loves!... more cruel than the silence of prisons, that kind of silence is in itself a prison."

In your absences my therapy sessions (with two different therapists now, good grief!) have begun to read like pages out of the Gossip Girl novels.  Play-by-Play of silly games.  I enjoy Dr. Petra.  Technically he's just a psychiatrist, a fancy drug pusher.  But we're becoming close.  We think and express ourselves in the same way. Maybe that's bad.  Maybe part of therapy should be challenging the way I think and express myself and being so comfortable with him might be dangerous (or at the least, not productive).

I do hope you are receiving my correspondence.  Hope the weather in Zanzibar is well.

Robert de Saint-Loup

No comments: