The following is a documentation of correspondence between myself and my good friend Iqbal, who is currently out of the country. To begin at the beginning is advisable, but unnecessary, as the nature of our conversation is, by all accounts, deeply universal and fundamentally relatable.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Iqbal!

It's been too long. My pencil broke, snapped right in half, so I couldn't write rough drafts that I would later type into an email for you.  

Last night I had a dream about a black rabbit.  It was super friendly, came right over, was social, and ate watermelon out of my hand.  Isn't that odd?  Rabbits are generally not very social, nor are they known for liking watermelon.

Last night I was walking home from seeing a movie (The Reader--- nahhhh).  I was on the phone and was standing on a street corner waiting for a light to change.  Next to me was a cute girl in a beret.  I smiled at her.  She smiled back.  We both looked away.  Then we both looked back and smiled again. I knew what I had to do.  

I hung up the phone and said 'hi.'  We chatted for a second in the street, then I asked her for coffee, right then. She looked at her watch and said 'why not?'  Coffee was lovely, we exchanged numbers, I saw her to the train and was quite happy with myself.  I should so this more often, just being outgoing and social.*

I might enclose a poem I wrote in the next letter I send.  I hope to get a response from you soon!

-Robert de Saint Loup

*Everything in the second paragraph of that story didn't happen.

No comments: